Wednesday, July 24, 2013

The Turnaround

7/23/2013

In five days I will reach the turn-around, state number 25 of my 50 States marathon journey at the Madison Marathon in Montana.  Just like in a single race, this is a point to do a quick self-check of the first 15 (great Scott!) years.  I am going to take a moment to inventory of what has been accomplished, see exactly how I feel now, and visualize how the second half may unfold.

What started at the Los Angeles Marathon in 1998 as a "one time deal" ended up becoming "THE way" of life today.  Today, marathoning, running has become a part of my identity.  I can proudly call myself a runner...  granted pedestrian, but still I AM RUNNER.

birth - My first marathon was a painful 5:31 experience that required redemption the very same year in NYC where I ran a pedestrian 4:49.  At that point in time, I was only hooked on the thrill of finishing races. Over the next three years, I added only one marathon a year until 2002 when I tore my Achilles tendon.  The injury sidelined me until 2005 from running when I thought I'd give it another go at the SD race with Christine A. That 5:00 finish was a humbling experience but reminded me of the joy of the finish.

childhood - I begin taking advantage of some trips and vacations and ran races in places like Portland OR, Albuquerque NM, and Philadelphia PA over the next few years.  I began to push myself towards better running, fitness and faster times.  I was thrilled with setting PRs race after race.  By the time I ran Albuquerque, I had cut more than an hour from my first marathon time.  Little did I know that while I was running faster, I was just "learning to walk" in the world of running.

adolescence - Some time in 2008 when I took notice of these people at the marathon with their 50 States Marathon Club singlets and t-shirts.  "Now that is a cool idea!" I thought.  What better way to see cool new places and run faster races than to join this club.  I found a new home.  With 10 States under my belt, I officially joined the club in 2009...  it started a new chapter in my running life.  In the next 2-3 years something else changed in me.  My wife was amazed that I'd actually talked to people at races and met new friends.  "what happened to my anti-social hubby?"  I came across so many great runners who were good people.  They were generous, passionate, and shared the same love for running that other didn't seem to understand.  My passion for running evolved once again as I found a community to call my own.

adulthood - In 2011 and 2012 I continued to improve as a runner.  My PR improved and I became a sub-4 marathoner.  I ran my first double (back to back days) marathons and saw that limitations and fears that once tangled me no longer existed.  I also began running more marathons... going to 4 races in 2012.  This year, I tackled the 100 mile run at Nanny Goat and plan to complete a total of 7 races. My love for running has never been deeper.  I feel blessed to continue to be surrounded by new friend in the running community like fellow Troopers from Running Troops and friends from Run it Fast.  I have become more humble than ever as I witnessed incredible feats by awesome runners year after year.  What motivates me today is the satisfaction of helping, motivating, and inspiring new runners to discover this wonderful sport that has really changed me physically and mentally.

future - I have high hopes of completing my 50 State journey sooner rather than later.  If timing permits, I would like to finish my tour in the next two years.  I plan to take on bigger and faster challenges.  Who knows, sky is NOT the limit!  Ultra running is intriguing and I hope to get more experience and become a tougher and stronger runner.  I also hope that 3:51 is not my fastest marathon race...  Most importantly going forward I hope to treasure the remaining experience and make meaningful friendship with the awesome people in the running community.  Its time to push and time to get that negative split!

one race, one mile, and one step at a time,

Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment