Friday, November 21, 2014

2014 - A Runner's Year in Review

11/21/2014

Amazing.  I turned 40 in 2014!  That is damn old!

It was a BIG year for me with some major highs and lows.  Just wanted to recap the year of the goals accomplished and some missed.  If nothing else, it was a whole lot of fun.


The year kicked off with the Avalon 50M where I did some climbing, watched a sunrise, and met a few cool Canadians.

Then I had some fun with friends in TN (State#28)





States 29 and 30 were DE and NJ with Jaeson




Then I was humbled at Nanny Goat 2014 where I completed 50M and watched as wifey completed her first ultra relay.




Then I traveled to the land of the strange and ran 5 marathons in 5 states (States 31-35) in five days MI, IN, IL, IA, and WI.  The Mainly Series taught me a lot about toughing sh!t out when things go bad.  I met some amazing runners and those who helped me through that painful day 5.  Special thank you Deb, Lisa, Karen, Greg, and Katie for lifting my spirits up when I thought it was not possible.


These five races subsequently led to a short sabbatical.  About a month of doctors offices, physical therapy, and very little running meant a lot of frustration but ultimately some rest for the first time in a while. 

They day the doctor cleared me, I signed up for a 100M race.  But before then, I ran a local marathon with the fine folks at A Better World Running to support a friend.


Lean Horse 100 in SD was my redemption race and State number 36.


Finally, I had a wonderful time in DC meeting friends old and new...  completing State number 37 (VA) at the Marine Corps Marathon.









Not a huge year by the standards of many of my crazy friends.  But I am fairly happy with:

  • 50 miler x 2
  • 100 miler x 1 (PR 24:55)
  • Marathons x 10
  • 10 New States!


Things that were missed:

  • No PRs at the marathon distance.  Looks like the old legs are fading at the shorter distances :(
  • Chimera...  perhaps it was a good thing.  Not sure if I was ready for the beast. 
  • Running 3,000 miles in 2014.  As of today, I am at 2,399 for the year.  The body didn't have what it takes for the mileage.
It was a good year.  I am going to take what was accomplished and missed and learn from it.  I hope to continue to grow as a runner and as a person.  I am most thankful for the support from my wife and all my running friends across the country.  Also wanted to thank my friends at SinFree Sugar for their support of me and a healthy SinFree lifestyle.  Looking forward to a even more epic year of running in 2015!

one race, one mile, one step at a time

Jeff











No comments:

Post a Comment