Monday, February 14, 2011

Moving too fast?

Read this from a fellow 50 Stater's FB page today:
"enjoy the races and the 50 States will come."

What Dave M. was referring to was running multiple races in a state and not worrying about completing all 50 states... really enjoying all the cool races and places around the country.

How is this possible!? In my mind, it has always been, run fast, complete 50 ASAP. what do you mean take my time???

For me, the statement was deeply profound.
Honestly, I have not truly enjoyed a race in the last 2-3 years. Flying out solo on a Sat, picking up bib, going to sleep, waking up early, racing, showering, then getting back on a plane has allowed me little enjoyment of the cities I've visited. On top of that, I've focused so much on trying to cut down my PR that I don't even enjoy the race itself.
For the most part, I just keep looking at my Garmin and mile pace to make sure I was on track to run my time goal.
This is pretty much also a reflection of our lives. We are constantly on the move. Rushing from one activity to the next...

I hope that this year, after Seattle, I will be able to enjoy the year end runs. I need to slow down just a bit. Both in running and in our everyday life. I don't know if I will reach the zen state that Dave has reached... maybe one day.

One race, one mile, and one step at a time

Jeff

2/14/11
9M 1:16:09

1 comment:

  1. I think you should just enjoy each run, and all the scenary as you take each step. It's hard enough to train for run, travel to the location, and think about a your PR....
    Once you're there...enjoy it. You deserve it.

    ReplyDelete