Thursday, March 31, 2011

Focused aggression and “stuff in the basement”




One of my favorite lines is from the much under-rated 2006 movie Rocky Balboa.
Rocky: "I don't know, there's still some stuff in the basement." Paulie: "What basement?" Rocky: "In here."

I can relate. I do not know why (well, I have some clues) but that is the way I am…
I’ve got stuff in the basement too. But what is this “stuff” that is inside? Well, it’s like a little fire that burns inside. Sometimes it’s just a tinder and other times it’s like a wild fire. For me, it’s the furnace that drives the motor. It’s the same competitiveness that drives me in the work place and on the marathon course.

“The stuff,” is the voice inside that says, “You are better than this.” “The stuff,” gives the middle finger to those who doubted or got into the way. “The stuff,” demands more and is hard to satisfy. Good thing it’s kept in the basement. The basement has some dark corners.
Is “the stuff” healthy for me? I don’t know. Probably not. But I know “the stuff” has pushed me over many walls on the marathon course. Just have to keep it locked up, Bruce Banner.

One race, one mile, and one step at a time,
Jeff
3/31/11 8 Miler Easy

No comments:

Post a Comment