Thursday, January 13, 2011

Focus focus...

The human mind is a powerful (and often weak) thing. Why is it that, when I schedule a 8 miler that I get tired at mile 7? But why is it that, when I then schedule a 13 miler that I don’t get tired until mile 12? Mental block! Self limits that hinders performance… has it happened to you?
Running has been a great test and training of the mind for me. I don’t always succeed but it is a constant practice to put away doubts and excuses. “oh, its too cold this morning” “oh, its too hot today” “kids kept me up last night” “im on vacation!”… the list goes on and on… I’m sure everyone has got some good excuses. (send me your best ones!)
The marathon race IS the ultimate test of will. As I have often said, I learn a little bit more about what I am made of at each race. There comes a point in the race that your body will overpower your mind… this is most commonly referred to as “the wall.” As a mid to back-of-the-pack runner, the greatest reward of the marathon is often how I overcome that mental wall.
Therefore, marathon training is the place to build the physical and more importantly, the mental strength to withstand the vulnerabilities. But even the casual runner can gain the same benefits with a consistent running routine. Just bring the running shoes and leave the excuses!
here is a great quote…
"Limits like fears, are often just illusions." - Michael Jordan @ HOF ceremony

One race, one mile, and one step at a time
Jeff
1/13/11
http://connect.garmin.com/player/63271111
6M – 49:15
821/820/826/747/806/812 – 918 cal

1 comment:

  1. I love reading your posts. Thanks for sharing and keeping the inspirational torch lit for us all!

    ReplyDelete