Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Gotham City

A frequently asked question is “what is your favorite marathon so far?”
I’ve only ran 15 States (20 races) so far. Every town and race has been unique in its own way. From the revitalized downtown of Phoenix to the serenity of Emerald Bay (Tahoe), there was something special and memorable from each race. I love Los Angeles, but… If I had to choose one race as my favorite, BY FAR, it would have to be the New York City Marathon (1998, 2002).
To experience the sights, smells, and people of all five boroughs of NYC is really an awesome experience on its own. Now add 30,000 marathoners from around the world and millions of New York’s finest in the crowd is really a life time experience. In particular was 2002. That was one year after the 911 attacks and emotions were still high and the runners and the city felt absolutely united on race day. My favorite memory of the race is near the 16 mile mark when one exits Queensboro Bridge and enters back onto Manhattan. To hear and see the roar of the thousands of fans gave me an emotional lift and sent goose bumps up my spine.
This is a very special race, difficult to get in (lottery system), but something that given the chance, every marathoner should experience.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boauNvB9h6I

Oh, a funny little story about the NYC marathon. A week before the NYC marathon, my wife was given the chance to attend a party (w/ guest) at the Playboy Mansion that took place the same weekend of the race. She asked if I would consider not going to NY in order to attend the party. I said, “There will be other opportunities to go to the Mansion in the future...”
Well, I am still waiting.

One race, one mile, and one step at a time
Jeff
1/25/11
4M 32:55 Easy
816/824/759/814 http://connect.garmin.com/player/65137880

No comments:

Post a Comment